Lower back pain is unavoidable in daily life. You can get lower back pain by studying in the library or working at the office.
Pain of the back can stay for a week, month, and year or even for a lifetime. Some people also experience spondylitis and other back problems because of lower back pain.
These days, we do not get enough time to look at our health. Exercises and physical work are eliminated from our daily schedule to a great extent.
These habits result in long-term lower back pain. You will learn about the best exercises that cure lower back pain.
Best Exercises to Relieve Lower Back Pain
If you suffer from intense back pain, try some of the below exercises to get permanent relief from pain.
1. Truck Rotation Exercise
This is one of the best exercises to cure lower back pain. This exercise makes your muscles strong and healthy.
Apart from that, you can also get strong back muscles. It is a very easy exercise.
- You have to lie on your back and bring knees near your chest.
- Now, extend both the arms fully by keeping palms on the floors.
- The next thing you must do is to keep knees together and your hands on your floors. Then roll bent knees on the right side and hold for 20 seconds.
- Repeat this exercise on the left side as well.
Bridge is another exercise to cure back pain. It is again a very simple exercise. You have to lie on the back and bend your knees.
Keep a distance between knees and floor. Now, you have to take a deep breath. Then breathe out by lifting your hips.
Your knees, hips and shoulders should be in a straight line. Do this exercise about 10 times a day to cure back pain.
3. Leg Stretch
Leg stretch increases flexibility in hamstring muscles. It is easy to do this exercise.
First of all, you have to lie on your back by placing both legs on the floor. Now, raise the knees. Take a towel and put it under one leg and straighten your knee.
Now, pull back the towel. This exercise gives a light stretch to the lower back portion. Repeat the exercise for the second foot too.
4. Flexion Rotation
This exercise is good for the lower back and hips. Follow the below steps to do flexion rotation:
- Lie on the right-hand side by keeping both legs straight.
- No, bend the left leg and put it behind the right knee.
- Hold your left knee with the right arm.
- Now, place the left hand behind the neck.
- Then rotate the upper body on the backside by keeping your left shoulder on the floor.
- Repeat this exercise about 10 times. Do the same for the left side.
5. Bird Dog
Bird dog moves your lower back. Start the exercise by putting your hands under the shoulders. Keep the knees under the hips and spine straight.
Then keep the head in the line of the spine. Breathe in and breathe out by extending one leg and keeping the opposite arm in line with the spine.
Hold this position for about 10 seconds and bring down the arm and leg on the ground while breathing out. Do this exercise 10 to 12 times for curing lower back pain.
6. Cat-Cow Stretch
This stretch reduces tension in the lower back. Follow the below steps to do a cat-cow stretch.
- Start the exercise by keeping your hands and knees on the ground.
- Pull the stomach to the spine and drop your head forward.
- Hold this position for about 10 seconds.
- Now, return to the starting position and raise your head.
- Allow pelvis to fall forward by bringing down the back to the floor.
- Hold this cow position for about 10 seconds.
- Finally, return to the starting position.
- Repeat this exercise 20 times a day.
7. Lower Stomach Strengthening
Strong tummy muscles help to cure lower back pain. Weak tummy muscles make your lower back tight causing intense pain.
Do lower tummy strengthening exercises to make tummy muscles healthy and strong. You have to lie on the back with bent knees and flat legs on the floor.
Then you have to breathe in and breathe out. While breathing out, bring one knee to your chest. Bring the foot to the floor while breathing in.
Repeat this exercise 8 times for each leg.
8. Supported Bridge
You have to take a foam roller or cushion to do this exercise. The steps to do supported bridge are:
- You have to lie on the back with bent knees and flat feet on the floor.
- Now, lift hips and place a foam roller or cushion under the hips.
- Relax your body by taking support of the floor.
- Hold this position for about 40 seconds and repeat it about 5 times between the gaps of 40 seconds.
This exercise supports your lower back and increases flexibility as well.
9. Piriformis Stretch
Piriformis muscle gets tight when you suffer from back pain. This stretch will make your piriformis muscle more flexible. It has some simple steps as under:
- You have to lie on your back and cross your right ankle on the left knee.
- Hold the thigh of the left leg and breathe in.
- Now, pull the knee towards your face while breathing out.
- Hold this position for about 25 seconds and repeat this position twice on each side.
10. Belly Flops
Belly flop is a good exercise to relax your lower back. You have to use a rolled towel or blanket in this exercise. Then do the following steps:
- Keep a rolled towel or blanket horizontally in front of you.
- Now, lie on the front side on the rolled towel or blanket.
- Relax your body and turn your head into any side.
- Stay in this position for about 2 minutes and repeat the exercise about 3 times with a gap of 45 seconds.